On Meditation




I am not competent to tell anything on meditation despite my substantial wanderings both physical and metaphorical.

Today, I read on the passing away of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi the founding Guru of Transcendental Meditation. He was at the Hague and was 91 when dead. Right from the fifties, he had great following from the east and the west and his celebrity disciples included the Beatles.


“Being happy is of the utmost importance. Success in anything is through happiness. Under all circumstances be happy. Just think of any negativity that comes at you as a raindrop falling into the ocean of your bliss," he wrote in 1967.


These words are inspiring indeed!


In 1978, as a young man of 23, after my post graduation, far away in Delhi, I had just joined as a PO with a Bank. I was into bit of serious reading and the thoughts of existentialism and spirituality had taken roots in the mind. Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche was a favourite, though I was rather a novice.




During a break in 1978, I went to the Himalayas. In Rishikesh, I bathed in the Ganges and in the early morning sat on the banks and prayed for the world at large. I thought of my forefathers and prayed for them too. I wandered around and visited the Ashram of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and met his brother who was reportedly a judge who took up sanyas. I remember having taken some lessons in meditation too. But, looking back, I now realize that I was very naïve and immature at that time.



Later in life, I have had the good fortune of meeting some great spiritual masters. I was also blessed to get my guru, a fully realized soul, who found the ultimate truth. He was a doctorate holder from Rutgers State University, USA and who later worked with IBM before embracing Sanyas. He leads his spiritual life in a secluded Ashram in India. Though, ignorant, rather irregular and known for my indiscipline in spiritual matters, I believe, I get the blessings from him and those closely known to me.


One day, I shall certainly begin in earnest about my meditation lessons.


Dubai, 7th February 2008.

Comments

Maddy said…
hi there - you certainly write about interesting subjects - Abraham Tharakan tipped me about your blog, and I enjoyed reading a few of the articles..

that was a time when many tried out TM including the Beatles and many others - I personally have not gone that route, at least not as yet...
Thank you. Coming from AT and you, both prolific and most wonderful writers, I take it too flattering.

One day, you may take that route, I presume, because it is a quest for truth.
Ashvin said…
I have tried TM (got initiated in Chennai at the ashram there) but the habit tapered off over a period of time.....
Dear Ashvin,

The key to success in any area is the consistency with which we pursue it. I too am not regular in my meditation and hence can not claim any superior knowledge of it from strictly personal experiences even though I have dwelt into the subject very exhaustively.
DKM said…
namastE SRee Murali Varma!

Your comments on meditation raised some questions for me: Can meditation be done without some kind of deekshaa where a Guru imparts in secret a mantRa to the initiate? I understand there are several kinds of meditations, but all of them seem to have this one feature in common.

Since my failed early youthful searches for a Guru I have given up the pursuit. Later an astrological peek into my horoscope convinced me that I have a preponderance of the Budha energy in me. And if you remember the story of Budha, he was born as the son of tAra (Gurugraha's wife) to Chandra and therefore there was considerable social ostracization of Budha. He could not get Guru, and thus became learned through self-didacticism. There are many instances of self-pedagogy in my life also. And the experience of not having a teacher nearby when I had money and not having fees for lessons when I had a teacher nearby. Perhaps, as I have been sincere, the Invisible Guru or the Gurutatva inherent in Nature has helped me in some of my pursuits.

You seem to have been lucky in finding a spiritual Guru. I realize everyone does not have that good fortune or blessing!

DKM
Dear Mohanji,
Thanks for the comments. My recent readings and conviction make me believe that "Deeksha" or guru is not necessary for meditation. Any method is fine if we are comfortable with it. The Buddhist and Tibetan gurus also have their specific methods.
You are right in noting that self pedagogy is most beneficial as it caters to our conviction. I cannot agree with you more when you say that the principle of the guru is inherent in our self or nature.
While I found a great Guru- He is no more now- I now realize that we have to find that guru within to help us rise to the "Buddhahood".

Have you read " I am That" by Nisargadatta Maharaj? It is a must-read. Robert Powell who followed the Master has written some excellent books too.

Murali
Emma Olivia said…
Very heartwarming post! You have remembered about your masters in a very emotional way. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi made a significant contribution to the Meditation world by founding Transcendental Meditation. You are blessed to meet such magnificent spiritual masters in life. Keep sharing your beautiful experiences like this.
Emma Olivia said…
Very heartwarming post! You have remembered about your masters in a very emotional way. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi made a significant contribution to the Meditation world by founding Transcendental Meditation. You are blessed to meet such magnificent spiritual masters in life. Keep sharing your beautiful experiences like this.
Thank you very much, Emma Olivia.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankaranatha Jyotsar

Princely Coorg and Chikka Veera Rajendra, it’s last Rajah

Paolino Bartolomeo and Karthika Tirunal Rama Varma Rajah (Dharma Rajah) of Travancore.