Monsoons in Kerala

Accounts are settled after transporting an elephant

This year, the South West Monsoons in Kerala in June appeared quite active. The whole country is drenched in water and I was frequently shuttling between Palakkad and Cherthala during the month. Of late my Dad had not been enjoying good health and I needed to shift base to Kochi/Tripunithura as my son had joined a school there for his 11th.
I opted out of a banking assignment in Kabul because of the obvious risks and for the time being decided to be at Tripunithura relaxing a bit with my personal interests. Transporting personal effects in Kerala through a heavy motor vehicle is not at all a pleasant experience. Besides, the settling down at a new place has its own inconveniences and delays. I am yet to get my net connections.
It should take a couple of weeks more for the dust to settle inside the house. Outside, thanks to the rains, there is no dust but many a messy water pool.
During the rains, while traveling, you are likely to find many objects and situations good for photographs. Only problem is that when you are tensed, the mood to access the camera is lost.
Still, let me add a few snaps.
Photo courtesies : Lavanya Varma


Beach at Thiruvizha-Cherthala-

Mountain ranges of Palakkad Pass

Transpoting an elephant by a Lorry




Tripunithura, South India
30th June 2010

Comments

Meera's World said…
good luck with the move:)
paarppidam said…
very nice photos. is that elephant in the lorry is mangalam kunnu karnan(kannan)?
Manikandan said…
Wish you a very happy stay at the royal town of Kochi.
Thank you Manikandan. I appreciate your fine gesture.

kind regards,
Thank you, Kumar. I am afraid, I do not know if the elephant was Mangalamkunnu Kannan.

kind regards,
Thank you , Meera for the wishes.

kind regards,
Suma said…
Very good photos.You can take more photos of elephant as now youstaying at thripunithura at the time of festival and put in to blog.
Ajith said…
Nice post as always . Bit jealous too to learn that you are currently enjoying the Kochi life.Being an NRI banker in Africa for the last 12 years, I really miss Kochi's lights and sounds. Expecting more frequent posts during your stint there.
Thank you, Suma. Yes, Tripunithura is a good place rich in heritage andold rituals.

regards,
Dear 王名仁 ,

Thank you.
Dear 恩如,

Thank you very much for the appreciation.

Regards,
Thank you, agp, for your warm words. I hope you are enjoying your days in Africa. I too had a banking stint in Malawi, but only for a couple of years. Where are you based?

Kind regards,
Ajith said…
In Dar Es Salaam,Tanzania now. Earlier in Kenya and Uganda. Were you with FMB in Malawi?
Nebu said…
Nice to know that now in Tripunithura.

An assignment in Afghanistan? my God.
Eppam arippa poolay aayi ennu choothichaal mathi.
Thanks agp. Glad to know . I was with Finance Bank (Malawi) Ltd between 2003-05. Later, with a offshore bank, I used to frequent Dar, Nairobi, Mombasa and Kampala.Be in touch.

kind regards,
Thanks, JasonBirk佳琪.
Thanks, Nebu. hahahaha!

regards,
Ajith said…
Sure Mr.Murali .My mail id is ajithg@live.com
Bernard said…
Murali Chetta,
When you said about Monsoon, I expected a bit of your POMD (Physical Oceanography and Matereological Dept) experience, in lay man's language. But anyway, the photoes are really good and good luck with future articles!
Bernard
Sunita Mohan said…
I cant believe I missed this post! The monsoon season is our busiest time of the year so I sometimes forget what I have checked up on and what I haven't.
Lucky you, Kerala must be wonderful now especially with the preparations for Onam on in full swing. But I think the move to Tripunithara has really kept you busy going by the date on which this post was published.
Thanks, Bernard for the comment and appreciation. I did not want to be too technical in this blog. May be one day I can freely mix a bit of meteorological findings about monsoons with the charm and romanticism associated with this wonderful phenomenon which is a nostalgia for every human being from this part of the globe.
Thanks you, Sunita for so keenly going through and for the kind remarks. You are absolutely true ; I was so tied up and still I am. But I get tuned to this and am enjoying the change.
Exqusite Photo Sir!

Happy Onam!
Thank you, Kochuravi.

Popular posts from this blog

Sankaranatha Jyotsar

Princely Coorg and Chikka Veera Rajendra, it’s last Rajah

Paolino Bartolomeo and Karthika Tirunal Rama Varma Rajah (Dharma Rajah) of Travancore.