Bidding Adieu to Dr.B. Vasanthan, Banker Extraordinaire - Personal remembrances -

Dr.B.Vasanthan 
In the course of one's career stretching over 4 decades, it is quite likely that we all meet a handful of men who leave an indelible impression in our hearts due to the sheer strength and magnetism of their personality. Dr.B. Vasanthan, eminent banker and the former Chairman and Managing Director of Andhra Bank who left for his last journey on 24th January, 2020 was one such great soul with whom I had the privilege of acquaintance during the formative years of my career. He was indeed the foremost among a handful of decision-makers with the great executive calibre that I, in my various assignments in India and abroad was fortunate to come across. He had all the qualities of head and heart, led by knowledge, razor-sharp intelligence and profound wisdom.
Hailing from Kanhangad, Mr.Vasanthan was a Kerala University topper for his B.Com before he joined Syndicate Bank. His brilliance and executive capabilities brought quick promotions and he headed the Kerala Zone in the late 80s. He headed the Bank's London Branch and became a General Manager. In 1998 he was selected as the Executive Director and later as Chairman and Managing Director of Andhra Bank that he served till 2003. He was widely regarded as one of the most successful bankers of his generation especially because Indian banking was going through a tumultuous phase during the eighties and nineties. He transformed Andhra Bank, one of the smaller Public Sector Banks with its inherent systemic problems, to one of the most efficient and successful Banks. Recognizing his rich contributions to banking, the Tirupathi Venkateswara University honoured him with a doctorate. Post-retirement, he joined the National Bank of Oman in Muscat as CEO for a brief stint. He was on the board of various companies and was involved with charitable activities working from home in Mangalore.
In 1986 I was passing through a difficult time in my personal life. While working as an Asst Manager of Syndicate Bank at Alleppey, I had been selected to undergo training in IT. I and my wife had lost our first child immediately after birth and the training at Manipal had been too much for me to concentrate. I pulled out of the programme and returned to Kerala. I decided that continuing in Alleppey was too stressful and we needed a change of place very badly.
I called on our Zonal Head, Sri.B.Vasanthan at Trivandrum who was then the Asst General Manager in charge of Kerala Zone with three Regions and over 130 branches under its jurisdiction. I had not personally met him before this meeting. I briefed him of my situation and told him that I needed a change and Trivandrum was my choice. I could sense that he liked me both as a person and as an officer and then asked me if I could move to a certain branch in Central Kerala as a Manager. I told him that I prefer to working in his office

In Zonal Office, Trivandrum
The very next day I got my orders transferring me as the Public Relations Officer at Zonal Office. It was a newly created post with perks like a motorcycle, telephone at house besides leased accommodation. In those days, these were real privileges. And I was directly reporting to him!
In the early years of my career, working under him, I learned a lot both on the professional front and on the personal front. He was a no-nonsense executive who was very focused on the results and was very resilient. Extremely quick to take decisions, he was very thorough in his knowledge. He did not entertain mediocracy and sycophancy in any form. He was quick to spot talents and went to the extremes for getting things implemented.
He was always immaculately dressed and spread an air of authenticity wherever he moved. He was a connoisseur in his tastes and attitudes. I certainly picked up many sophisticated traits from his behaviour. He knew when to help people and when to admonish. He was very tough when he had to be without bothering about the consequences. I remember an occasion when he told me, "Murali, administration and sympathy do not go hand in hand."
A meeting at the Office with Mr.Vasanthan in the centre.

I had ensured good liaisons for the bank with various departments that included Airport, 
RBI, Doordarshan, Railways, Secretariat and many others. Accompanying him, I had visited various dignitaries too and he was always appreciative of my efforts that included the hosting of a Parliamentary Committee from Delhi.

He knew the minds of people very well. Once I asked him if I could take a day's off to watch the India-West Indies ODI at Trivandrum held on 25th January 1988. He asked me for breakfast at his home the next day. After having some exotic Mangalorean dishes made by his gracious wife, Mrs Aruna, he handed over three tickets to me so that his son Shrikant and daughter Anju also could accompany me. For the record, K.Sreekanth scored a century for India batting first, but WI won by 9 wickets with Simmons scoring another and Greenidge cracking 84! The major regret was that our icon Sir Viv Richards who was the player of series of that 7 match schedule was not seen in action at Trivandrum.
I also vividly remember the time when our CMD, Sri.PSV Mallya visited Trivandrum. During the weekend, we had arranged a trip to Coutrallam Falls on Chittar River which is a major tourist attraction. I accompanied the CMD, Mr.Vasanthan and his family and we all stayed in a private guesthouse. The next day all of us had a bath in the falls. I was treated by all of them as a family member. While returning after the bath, I requested CMD that we may have a hot tea by the wayside tea-stall if he did not mind it. Laughing out loud, he said, "No, problem Murali, as long as the Bank people are not watching!" 
Mr.PSV Mallya, CMD, Mr.Vasanthan , I and Shrikant

Our daughter Lavanya was born in Trivandrum. Mr.Vasanthan and his family came to our house with gifts and he was there with family when we celebrated her first birthday as well.

Birthday party of my daughter Lavanya

When he was to move to Ahmedabad Zone in 1988 as DGM, he transferred me as the Branch Manager of Ernakulum Banerji Road branch. He knew about the intrigues in management circles about one’s identifying too much with an Executive and didn't want me to have trouble with another boss.
I attended a farewell party in his honour at Cochin Club and remember having spoken about his innate qualities as a professional.
While working as the head of Ahmedabad Zone, he visited Ernakulum and had visited my house. He told me that he was opening a branch at Anand- the land of Amul- and he would welcome me as Manager there. But he insisted that if I was happy at Ernakulum I must continue there. I told I was happy and the chapter was treated closed. In retrospect, I knew I made a mistake. 
Mr Vasanthan with Branch Managers of Ernakulam city, 
the others being V.Ganesh and Richard Martis.1988

From Ahmedabad, he had moved to London as the head of Syndicate Bank there. He made a big mark there and was promoted as General Manager of the Bank. While at London, he had contacted me twice for small assistances like accompanying his guests. I accompanied Mr.YM Shetty, former GM of the Bank who served in Africa to Cape Comorin and Mr.Shreeyan, a senior executive of Reliance Group to Guruvayoor. Interactions with these senior gentlemen considerably enhanced my exposure at a time when the internet did not have its full sway. 
As Branch Manager at Ernakulam, Banerji Road 1988

I had moved to Calicut and made friends with Mrs and Mr Richard Hackett. Richard was from London and his wife was a Keralite from Calicut. They knew Mr.Vasanthan and family very well. Once when Richard's mom called on me at the branch I told her that I had worked under Mr.Vasanthan whom she knew in London. She was very delighted and remarked, "Oh! You know him! Such a fine gentleman, always immaculately dressed!"
Sindhu and Lavanya with Mrs and Mr Richard Hackette 1993
Sometime in 1999, my friend Kamal G Rao of the IAS called me and told that his friend, a nominee Director of Andhra Bank was visiting Kochi and that I may call on him. I was happy because Dr.Vasanthan was the Chairman and it was an occasion to meet him. I went to Taj Malabar at Wellington Island in the evening and later accompanied Dr.Vasanthan to Ernakulum for some shopping.
Later, I moved to ING Vysya Bank and was serving at Chennai as a Regional Head. One day, in 2002, on a certain personal matter, I rang up Dr.Vasanthan, when he was the Chairman and Managing Director of Andhra Bank. People in the banking sector will know as to how difficult it is to directly talk to a CMD of a Public Sector Bank over the phone. Quite naturally, his executive Secretary wanted to know my credentials. I politely explained myself and requested him to just convey my message and held the phone. A few seconds later, came the baritone voice of the boss, "Yes, Murali!" He affectionately asked about my wife Sindhu and daughter Lavanya.
I lost contact with him after I moved to Southern Africa and later to Dubai. It was my wish to go and meet him just for the pleasure of it. But it was not to be. I was quite shocked when my good friend Venugopal informed me of the sudden demise of Dr.Vasanthan. I wept internally and realized with sadness that we have become poorer by his absence.
I learn that his son Shrikant whom I knew as a bright boy has certainly lived up to expectations. A chip off the old bloke, he was educated at the University of Oxford and later at the London Business School. He has worked with various multinationals and is presently in Hong Kong as Senior Vice President with the Langham Hospitality Group.
Mr.Vasanthan with family 1988
“The best portion of a good man’s life is his little nameless unremembered acts of kindness and of love, “so said the poet William Wordsworth. He had the portion in abundance.
While paying my tributes to the noble spirit of Dr.Vasanthan, I also remember Madam Aruna Vasanthan, Shrikant and Anju with much affection and gratitude. I and Sindhu have enjoyed dinner with exotic dishes at their house while at Trivandrum. I pray for their peace and wellbeing and prosperity. Life is an enigma and we all need to undergo our fair share of grief. My salutations and pranams before the memory of Dr.Vasanthan, Banker and human being par extraordinaire. I know that from somewhere in the heavens he will modestly wave away my tributes!
Palakkad,
Republic Day 2020



Comments

Malavika said…
Very well written. He was indeed a great soul. I will never forget him for the enormous help from him for my transfer to Madurai
Malavika
ZO Trivandrum ex staff 1985_88
Thank you, Malavika. I fondly remember you as a wonderful colleague while working at ZO. All my blessings to you. Where are you now?
trainticket said…
I worked with B Vasanthan sir in his secretariat as clerk as soon as he joined ZO Trivandrum when Kuttihassan sir was his secretary. Mr B Vasanthanwas an extra ordinary personality who well deserved all his various positions in banking industry which included the highest level of being MD of Andhra Bank. He was kind enough to attend my marriage at Trivandrum in 1986 and arranged for my transfer to Chandigarh within no time which even today I fondly remember with gratitude..

Parvathy
jeyasarma63@gmail.com
Thank you, Parvathy for the reminiscences!

Popular posts from this blog

Sankaranatha Jyotsar

Princely Coorg and Chikka Veera Rajendra, it’s last Rajah

Paolino Bartolomeo and Karthika Tirunal Rama Varma Rajah (Dharma Rajah) of Travancore.